Well, we all survived the arctic air over the last two weeks or so. That was awful. Negative 20-30 wind chills.. Seriously. That's just not okay. Watching the forecast this morning, and I'm so excited! 30's today with some sun, it's going to be beautiful! 40's Thursday and Friday with some rain on Friday, so hopefully we'll get rid of some of this snow. I know the heatwave won't last, but it sure will be nice.

As most of you have seen on Facebook, I'm now officially employed again. Thank GAWD! Not only was I going broke, I was going crazy.
It's funny... I was getting so discouraged. I had so many resumes out, and had only had a handful of interviews. And then all of a sudden, I had three different job offers that I had to choose from. Who knew that would happen?! And wasn't it stressful! I took a few days to decide, and I had such a difficult time. I had to remind myself that this was not a lifelong decision. No matter which I chose, I could always look for something else if I ended up being unhappy. And the advice from all the people who know me helped as well.
My choices were: a receptionist position with Varney insurance agency, a customer service rep for Wayfair's call center, and a waitress (with potential for bartending shifts) at Dysart's. Each job had it's own perks... Varney had "better" hours; Mon-Fri, 8-5, holidays and weekends off and a great benefits package. Wayfair offered the highest pay with quick potential for advancement and raises, and an excellent benefits package. Dysart's only offered part time (30 hours) to start, with the option of quickly moving into full time, variable hours (weekends, evenings, etc), an "okay" (but not great) benefits package, but the service industry, which is what I'm accustomed to.
In the end, I knew I wouldn't be happy sitting behind a desk all day, or on a headset all day in a call center, even though those jobs were the most practical. Even as often as I complain about people, and as much of grouch I am, and as antisocial as I seem to be, I need that social interaction every day. I've worked in the service industry for 15 years. It's what I know, and it's what I enjoy.
I fill out all the employment paperwork on Thursday, and I expect to start training on Friday (I'll find out my schedule today or tomorrow).

I'm so nervous...
I haven't had to start a new job in a long time. New place, new people, new POS system, new job duties, lots of new things to learn... and I've never technically waitressed before. Am I going to be able to do it? I mean, I know I'll be able to do it socially. I'd make a damn good waitress, just as I make a good bartender. But physically, can I do it? I'm no spring chicken anymore. My hips hurt, my knees hurt, I'm lame and lazy. Then again, when I was busy at whatever bar I worked, I had no problem keeping the pace, and then some. Maybe moving around again is what I need. I just don't know.
And will I remember where the food goes? Who ordered what? What food goes to what table? Will I be able to memorize their HUGE menu? My mind is no spring chicken anymore either!
And what about that giant tray loaded with plates of food? Am I seriously going to be able to balance that on one hand while walking at the same time?!? Oh gawd, I see a potential train wreck happening there...
Sigh. I guess I'll find out.

As most of you have also seen on facebook, I'm currently fostering a doggy. It's actually a foster-to-adopt program through the local SPCA. You take the doggy for two weeks, and at the end of those two weeks, you either adopt the dog, or turn it back over to the shelter. Even if I don't adopt Hazel, it's still a neat program, because it gets the dog out of the shelter environment, and it gives the shelter more of a look into their personality and temperament for placement.
I don't know what I'll do at the end of our two weeks. I saw her on their facebook page, and I knew about their two week program, so I went to meet her. And then all of a sudden we were doing the two week program. Lol.
It's only been since Sunday, but so far she seems like a fairly easy dog. She does have some quirks. She is nervous around new people and things (it doesn't seem like she was ever properly socialized), she pulls terribly on the leash, she is a bit anxious, she is a pacer... She will get up and walk all around, pacing. I'm not sure if it's because she's anxious, or bored, or what. Perhaps a combination. She does seem like she would benefit from a more active home, someone who would/could take her walking a few times a day, or running, hiking or biking, or whatever. She is a busy body. She reminds me of Flash. Although she settles down nicely and lays with me on the couch, or at my feet (like now), as well.
I don't know how she is with other dogs yet, we haven't tested the waters there. Mom wants to bring her little ones up to meet her (especially since I have to babysit them next month, and if I adopt Hazel, they will have to coexist). Logan could bring over her boys too. I don't want to overwhelm her just yet. We'll see. But it would be nice to know.
I bought her a crate to use because I don't dare leave her to roam free while I leave the house. As soon as I set it up, she went right into it. She's gone into it to just lay down several times since. So obviously she is used to it from her previous home. That's a good thing.
It's good that I start my job this week, so that I'll really be able to see how having a dog will go with going to work and band practice. And then I'll have to figure out whether or not Hazel is that dog.
One of my friends raised a good point... do I really want to have a dog, or will it just end up being a another stressor for me? I think it's both?
Even if I don't adopt Hazel, I'll be glad to have gotten her out of the shelter for a couple weeks. And have had a chance to "try out" another doggy. And I know she will be adopted very quickly. There was a ton of interest on her post on their facebook page, I just happened to be the first one to act.
We shall see.


I've been sleeping like CRAP. And I don't know why. I do know that I can see from my facebook memories that I do it this time of year, pretty much every year. It seems to start around Thanksgiving. I'd like to know when it ends! This year seems worse though. At first I started waking up at 4. Then I started waking up at 3:30. Now I've started waking up at 2, and tossing and turning until I get up at 3:30 or 4. I am so over it. Ugh.

Logan came over to do laundry last night, so Dawson came over to visit too. It was nice having them both here. I still only see the boy when I drive him to/from school. I miss him so much. I know I say that every blog, but it's something I'll never get used to. Not having him in my home has been one of the worst things I've ever had to deal with. Just thinking/talking/writing about it brings me to tears.
I miss my boy.

Speaking of which, I have to go get him and bring him to school.

Be well.